In today’s 24/7 world, many adults find themselves struggling to fall asleep due to worrying thoughts that make it difficult to relax. Thankfully, sleep meditation has been growing in popularity for its ability to shift focus away from your racing mind and towards the relaxation your body needs to prepare for restorative sleep. In fact, there are a variety of mobile apps available today to provide a guided experience, many of which include sleep music for meditation.
How Music Aids Meditation
Music has a unique connection to the human experience. One song can dramatically change our mood or even transport us back to a specific moment in time. And when it comes to meditation, the right songs can help shift your mind away from worries and towards relaxation. In fact, studies have shown that music has the ability to slow down our heart rates and lower blood pressure which are essential components for rest.
Choosing Your Sleep Meditation Music
When it comes to sleep meditation, not all tunes are created equal. For example, the upbeat playlist that gets you pumped up first thing in the morning may be too upbeat to help you wind down at night. While each person is different, most people do well with slow-tempo songs with few or no lyrics. If you need a little help getting started, many music streaming offer pre-curated sleep mediation playlists that you can try out. Other apps like Calm offer versions of popular songs recreated specifically for sleep meditation.
Your Sleep Meditation Music Guide
Once you have your playlist selected, then it’s time to settle in for some serious relaxation. Here are some basic steps you can follow to get started:
- Take care of any obligations before starting your sleep meditation routine, such as putting the kids to bed, walking the dog, and writing down your to-do list.
- Get comfy! Change into your favorite PJs, yoga pants, or whatever makes you feel totally comfortable and ready to unwind.
- Pick the right space. Your bed is a great place to do your sleep music meditation so that if you fall asleep quickly, you’ll be comfortable and supported. If you prefer to do your meditation elsewhere before climbing into bed, be sure to pick a spot that comfortable and free from distractions.
- Breathe out your worries. Before you start your playlist, start the process of calming your mind by visualizing your stresses. Then, imagine breathing them in deeply, then breathe them out to let them go until tomorrow.
- Start listening. Now your body and mind are ready to start your sleep music meditation. If you are playing your songs through a speaker, be sure to set your sleep timer if necessary. If you are using headphones, be sure to choose a pair that won’t cause discomfort if you fall asleep with them on. Now, sit back, relax, and let your mind drift away from worry and into a deep sleep!
Now that you know how to use music for sleep meditation, you can customize your own routine to help you get in the right headspace for a deep, restorative sleep. And remember – sleep meditation is just one part of a healthy sleep routine. Be sure to stick to a regular sleep schedule, shut down your electronic devices before bedtime, and set up your bedroom to be a sanctuary for sleep.